On April 4, 2023 citizens residing in the city limits of Kimberling City will see Proposition PD on the ballot. This general sales tax will help ensure the future of the Kimberling City Police Department to help attract, retain, train and equip police officers.
The Board of Alderman will be holding a public hearing to discuss, and answer questions on this ballot measure.
Meeting Date/Time: Wednesday, February 15, 2023; 5:00pm
Meeting Location: Community Center at City Hall
34 Kimberling Blvd, Kimberling City
Virtual Meeting Link:
Meeting ID: 819 4451 7303 Passcode: 233459
- Who will pay this sales tax?
- How will this affect me when I shop inside city limits?
- It would add an additional 5 cents to the cost of a $10 purchase
- It would add an additional 25 cents to the cost of a $50 purchase
- It would add an additional 50 cents to the cost of a $100 purchase
Please note sales of motor vehicles, trailers, boats or outboard motors and sales to public utilities are not subject to this tax and this tax DOES NOT affect your real estate or property tax.
- How much revenue will be generated by this tax?
If approved, it is estimated that the ½ cent sales tax for Public Safety will generate an additional $300,000 each year.
- Can the ½ cent sales tax for Public Safety be used for anything other than Law Enforcement?
No. If approved, tax revenue generated by this tax will go in a separate fund which can only be used to fund expenses for the Kimberling City Police Department.
- How can we know the funds will be used as promised?
By law, the funds must be used as specified in the ballot language. Funds cannot be diverted for any other use. The city is audited on an annual basis by an outside auditing firm and for many years has received the top rating of “GOOD”. The city operating budget is always available for the public to review both online and at the city offices.
- What taxes are currently collected in Kimberling City?
The total sales tax rate for purchases within the city limits is 8.725%, which includes 4.225% for state, 2% county, 2% city and a 0.5% local use for internet sales.
When you look at the breakdown, Kimberling City only receives 2% of the taxes paid on purchases within the city limits.
- If approved, when will retailers begin collecting this sales tax?
This is set by state statute. If approved on the April 4, 2023 ballot, retailers will begin collecting the additional ½ cent sales tax in October 2023.
- What will happen if the voters don’t approve this ½-cent Sales Tax?
The City will continue to provide the best services possible with the resources available to us. However, cuts will be made across the board to balance the budget as there have been years where we have operated in a deficit.